What is Activist Art?
Art has been used throughout history to draw attention to issues ranging from political to social. Sometimes referred to as protest art, activist art has the capacity to communicate in ways that words often cannot. Activist art can take many forms from graffiti and street art, to posters, 3d installations, projections, and performance art to name a few.
- Activist art addresses socio-political issues by encouraging community and public participation as a means of bringing about social change.
- Activist art aims to affect social change by engaging in active processes to foster dialogue, raise consciousness, and empower individuals and communities.
- Activist art is about empowering individuals and communities
- Activist art sometimes involves direct action
- Activist art actively addresses power structures rather than representing them or simply describing them
Examples of Activist Art:
AIDS Activist Art